WHAT WE DO
The Agulhas Biodiversity Initiative is a landscape initiative. We work with partners across the Agulhas Plain and broader Overberg in the Western Cape of South Africa, using a landscape-level approach to facilitate conservation.
What does this mean? Well, see ABI as the mother ship - the platform where all organisations and partners involved in conservation and social development meet, update each other, inspire each other and find areas of cooperation. From here, our partners exit the mother ship and return to their daily duties - with new knowledge, ideas and support.
Now, as ABI launches its second phase, we're strengthening and broadening these partnerships - with government, landowners, conservation organisations, the private sector, and any other body involved in the management and use of our area's natural assets.
Our current goal is: Working together to secure a healthy natural environment to provide benefits for all, forever, within the Overberg. We work according to four theme areas, each with their own theme leader. These are:
- Integrated land-use planning (including controlling invasive alien plants)
- Viable nature-based, responsible tourism
- Environmental education
- Transitioning to a Green Economy
We have five main objectives in ABI, also known as the 5 C's:
- To convene interested and affected parties to develop a strategy for cooperation to influence land-use and development planning, as well as to develop an integrated development plan for the ABI area.
- To collate good quality information and data; analyse, communicate and use this data so that it can be utilised as a basis for planning and monitoring of initiatives.
- To facilitate communications between all parties with a particular focus on engaging local municipalities in the delivery of services that mainstream biodiversity and natural resource conservation.
- To conceptualise projects and initiatives by supporting partners in the identification of gaps and opportunities, including research, which guide and prioritise conservation action and projects.
- To raise the cash for and secure investment in priority activities and projects, including sourcing sustainable finance through innovative mechanisms and projects.
For more information, please contact the ABI office on 028 425 2218, or email email@example.com
Photographs courtesy of Evan Eifler. Visit Evan's Blog.
If you’re involved in conservation action in the Overberg, you can apply now for ABI Small Grants funding. Learn More
The Agulhas Plain bird lists now stands at 235 bird species, according to the Agulhas Plains Birding report for 2015.
Five new projects receive ABI support. The projects work to contribute to biodiversity conservation & environmental education in the Overberg.
ABI Partners met on 26 November 2015. "The current weather forecasts and historic trends show that the Overberg is likely to face a tough fire season" Learn More
The ABI Alien Clearing Project teams gave our fabulous guests from the Ecosystem Services Partnership Conference a show... Learn More
Five new projects have been selected to receive grants through the ABI Small Grants Facility... Learn More